Microscope opinions/factfinding

Moderator: olgafernandes

Microscope opinions/factfinding

Postby bkwapisz on Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:41 am

I have entertained buying a scope for a while, but would like to hear the consensus on what's good, what's to be avoided, and any other information that could be offered on this subject.  So far I have looked at Zeiss and Seiler (sp?)

Thanks in advance,

Brian.
bkwapisz

Re: Microscope opinions/factfinding

Postby AllanDeutsch on Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:22 am

We have both Global and Seiler scopes in the office.  The optics are about the same, so it really comes down to the bells and whistles.  The Seilers are considerably cheaper than anyother scope out there.  If price is the issue I would go with the Seiler.  It is almost 2 scopes for the cost of one , Seiler vs global.
Hope this helps
Allanb
AllanDeutsch

Postby BarryMusikant on Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:24 am

Brian,

I certainly don't represent a consensus, but here's my experience. I have global microscopes in my 2 operatories. They have worked well for the past 15 years. The first one that had all the bells and whistles cost over 20K. The second one cost about 12K. Others then went on to buy microscopes, but by that time we were teaching courses and using the Seiler scopes. They were for the most part the inexpensive models with 3 powers. When I teach the courses I use these microscopes and they work just fine. In fact, I have 5 powers on the two global scopes in each of my operatories, but I rarely ever use more than the 3 middle powers.

Most importantly, these models go for just about $5000 making them barely more expensive than 2 sets of loops with illumination. I find that Seiler gives very good value for the dollar and have been impressed with their overall quality.

Regards, Barry
BarryMusikant

Postby smluger on Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:27 pm

There are three major manufacturers of scopes in the American market: Zeiss, Global and Seiler.  They are all good.  You have to pick the one that best suits your needs.  Seiler's product is very good and very competitively priced and can be purchased at a substantial saving over the other brands.

You can get an entry level one like the Seiler 202  starting around $6000.   I preder the full service premium scope called the Revelation. Either way, using a scope will take you to a higher level of performance.  Most of my users use 6 or 8x routinely for most of thier work and go to 10x or 13x for endo.

Since Seiler is so many thousands less expensive,  Id rather use the thousands I save to purchase the accessories optical extenders, rotation device and imaging capability plus I like to have a monitor placed where the patient can see it when they are  laying down in the patient chair. It is wonderful for patient commumication.

I also recommend that you get proper training on a scope.  There are training centers specializing in this or you can have me come to your office to train you in your office, while using your own scope and staff while treating your own patients.

Good luck

Stefan Luger
Microscope Consultant and Hands-on Trainer
Microscope Sales and Service
www.dentalmicroscopy.com
410-977-2840
smluger

Postby hitekdkdr on Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:35 pm

I have been using Seiler scope for 10+ years now and have had excellent success with them.  The quality is super and the company very responsive to your needs.  I have tried them all and found the dollar value at Seiler to be great.  I work at 6 to 10x for most of my work and higher power when needed.  Michael D. Swick DMD
hitekdkdr

Postby BarryMusikant on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:52 pm

Michael,

i could not have said it better myself.

Regards, Barry
BarryMusikant

Postby D.Kase on Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:21 pm

I started on a Global scope years ago when the cost of one unit was way too high. As the prices fell, although not low enough, we remodeled our offices to place a scope in every room and choosing the Seiler scope fell within our budget perfectly. The optics in my opinion are equivolent and certainly more then adequate. Add that together with it's cost and you have one hell of a product that I highly recommend.
D.Kase

Postby Happy2th on Sun May 24, 2009 8:47 am

I have a Seiler Revelation and I cannot find a good digital camera and attachment apparatus for it.  I used to have a Nikon Coolpix 3700 attached to it, but the camera stopped working, and they don't make it anymore.

Also, I would like to get a metal halide light source for it as the halogen light source leaves a lot to be desired, but again, I haven't been able to locate one.  Seiler wants something like $4000 for a xenon light source.......kind of expensive considering that you can get a whole microscope for around $5000.

Anyone have a Seiler Revelation with a camera and a decent light source?
Happy2th

Postby BarryMusikant on Sun May 24, 2009 12:00 pm

Rich,

On Tuesday, Im going to have Dave call a fellow by the name of Dane who runs the Seiler microscope division to see if he can answer these questions better than they have been answered to date. There is also a fellow by the name of Stephan who is very knowledgeable in all phases of the Seiler microscopes who we can contact if we don't get good information from Dane.

Warm regards, Barry
BarryMusikant

Postby davel on Tue May 26, 2009 9:15 am

Happy2th wrote:I have a Seiler Revelation and I cannot find a good digital camera and attachment apparatus for it. I used to have a Nikon Coolpix 3700 attached to it, but the camera stopped working, and they don't make it anymore.

Also, I would like to get a metal halide light source for it as the halogen light source leaves a lot to be desired, but again, I haven't been able to locate one. Seiler wants something like $4000 for a xenon light source.......kind of expensive considering that you can get a whole microscope for around $5000.

The below response was provided by Seiler.

For the Xenon comment- Xenon light sources range from $4000-$8000 in the market depending who you buy it from.

About the Camera- Seiler can adapt any camera to your scope, they just need to know what type of camera it is. They offer a Universal Camera adapter and they can attach any camera that you would want to use. They also have an adapter for a point and shoot camera that they recommend (Sony W300 13MP) which is less expensive. Depending on which adapter you currently have Seiler may be able to just send you an adapter for a new camera?

For the light source- Seiler is actually coming out with two new microscopes in the coming months and the new scopes will have a Metal Halide light source. I hear they will be offering specials to current seiler users for the light source upgrade.

davel

Postby aussiepaul on Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:15 am

Happy2th wrote:I have a Seiler Revelation and I cannot find a good digital camera and attachment apparatus for it.  I used to have a Nikon Coolpix 3700 attached to it, but the camera stopped working, and they don't make it anymore.

Also, I would like to get a metal halide light source for it as the halogen light source leaves a lot to be desired, but again, I haven't been able to locate one.  Seiler wants something like $4000 for a xenon light source.......kind of expensive considering that you can get a whole microscope for around $5000.

Easy answer used to be 'sony nex 5' , now it is the sony nex7

Halogen light sucks, it looks like your eyepieces are filled with dilute urine!

Metal halide is sooooo much better, brighter, and whiter.

I know cj consultation in germany makes a led light, you might want to check out his stuff.

Otherwise, if you have two surgeries or more, then just buy a new xr6 revolution with a beamsplitter, nex 7 and use your 'old' scope as a spare!
aussiepaul

Return to Microscopes in Dentistry