"Root Canal Cover-Up" book by Meinig DDS

Moderator: olgafernandes

"Root Canal Cover-Up" book by Meinig DDS

Postby scotty on Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:26 pm

Barry
I just got a copy of the book "Root Canal Cover-Up" by George Meinig DDS, FACD. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... cover%20up
He was one of the founding members of the AAE. He deals a lot with Weston Price and the focal infection theory.
I am more than three quarters of the way through the book and just wondering if you've read the book and had any comments on it?
I'd also be interested in any comments from others on the discussion forum, about this book.
It was first printed in 1993 and in 2012 is now in its 10th printing.

Scotty.
scotty

Re: "Root Canal Cover-Up" book by Meinig DDS

Postby BarryMusikant on Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:19 pm

scotty wrote:Barry
I just got a copy of the book "Root Canal Cover-Up" by George Meinig DDS, FACD. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... cover%20up
He was one of the founding members of the AAE. He deals a lot with Weston Price and the focal infection theory.
I am more than three quarters of the way through the book and just wondering if you've read the book and had any comments on it?
I'd also be interested in any comments from others on the discussion forum, about this book.
It was first printed in 1993 and in 2012 is now in its 10th printing.

Scotty.

Scotty,

I read the book a number of years back. The general gist if I remember was that the tooth is so complicated in its anatomy that it could never be effectively cleansed and consequently will always be a source of infection that will then cause exacerbations elsewhere in the body. It's likely that within a large population of people there may be some who are immuno-compromised and teeth could be a source of infection that might lead to serious complications. However, for most of us, healing is evidently a process where the balance leaning to health outweights the balance leasning to infection. If we do enough cleansing and sealing of the canal system, we will shift the balance to healing if not, the problem persists or growns worse. We have many areas of low grade infection that are with us continuously, the prostate having a chronic infection at all times has been reported on and is considered a state of health. The same could be said of our sinuses. Only one side like many tubes in our body has a blood supply on one side and an irritant on the other. Yet most of us manage to live several decades.

Having been an endodontist since 1972, I think I have done a lot more good than harm and the patients who we have gotten out of pain and for whom we saved their teeth pretty much agree from what I gather.

It's a big emotional subject for some and will probably never be fully retired one way or the other.

Regards, Barry
BarryMusikant

Re: "Root Canal Cover-Up" book by Meinig DDS

Postby scotty on Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:19 pm

Good response, Barry.
Who knows what is the best treatment for every patient. The amalgam wars still go on, yet I was with a bunch of young dentists not long ago, and they were doing amalgams. I thought it was just us "old foggies" that did amalgams occasionally.

Weston Price developed what became known as the "focal infection" theory, which states that bacteria in one part of the body can travel via the blood stream to other organs and set up camp there with deleterious results. The organs and tissues most often affected were the heart, eyes, rheumatic and arthritic tissues, kidneys, digestive tract and nervous system. The theory went out of fashion for a time, apparently because of the introduction of antibiotics, but now is back in fashion since now we pre-medicate for heart valve issues and hip replacements. (This is all according to the book.)
Weston Price would take endo treated teeth from a patient and implant the tooth in a rabbit. The rabbit would develop the illness the patient had and the patient would get better.
The two points you brought up Barry are correct. Price felt that with the complex anatomy of all the accessory canals it was impossible to adequately sterilize endo teeth and in patients who were immuno-compromised bacteria left in these teeth would cause problems in other organs.

A few weeks ago I had to have my max right lateral removed. It had endo, done some years ago by an endodontist. A few months ago I had an FMX done by a student who need to take one for a test. I noticed then that the lateral did not look too good round the apex. A couple of months ago, a slight swelling appeared above it and a sinus tract developed. The root was not cracked ,often the cause of failure in endo teeth. On the other hand I have several other root canalled teeth, which I've had for many years and are doing just fine.
So, it probably just proves the theory that all dentistry is temporary.

Best

Scotty.
scotty

Return to Commentary on Articles and Lectures